This is the TODO for debhelper. As more and more people use debhelper, this
list grows - I welcome patches to fix items on it!
* escaping in config files (for whitespace)?
* make dh_install use hard links for efficiency (maybe?)
* dh_installinit --restart-after-upgrade as default?
* #487006: dh_installman with 3-letter codes
* apply patch in #557603 (breaks compatibility slightly; see #560120)
* clean up dh's handling of options passed onto commands it calls,
by implementing one of the changes discussed in #570039
(either change #3, change #4, or change #5; change #0 was done, but
was an incomplete workaround)
* better package arch filtering for -N , -p (#576990)
* Convert warning about unknown command-line options back to an error.
* Support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=debug ; maybe also support passing
-g -O2 by default. See patch (and discussion of why this breaks
compatability) in #544844.
* DH_COMPAT 1, 2, 3, 4. Can be removed once all packages are seen to be using
a newer version. I won't hold my breath. Now with evil warning messages
* dh_suidregister. Once nothing in the archive uses it.
* dh_testversion. Remove as soon as nothing uses it.
* dh_movefiles. I won't hold my breath. Have not added deprecation
docs or message yet.
* dh_installinit --init-script (make it warn)
* dh_clean -k
* dh_desktop, dh_scrollkeeper. Remove eventually..
* -s flag, not formally deprecated yet; remove eventually
* -u flag; add a warning on use and remove eventually
* delsubstvar() and the last parameter to addsubstvar that makes it remove
a string are not used in debhelper itself, but have been left in the
library in case other things use them. Deprecate and remove.
Also, grep the entire archive for all dh_* command lines,
and check to see what other switches are not being used, and maybe remove
some of them. I'd also like to deprecate/remove debian/compress files, -X is
a better idea.