This is the TODO for debhelper. As more and more people use debhelper, this
list grows - I welcome patches to fix items on it!
* Make dh_* "use strict".
* Make dh_movefiles remove emptied directories after it's moved all the
files out of them (#17111).
* enhance dh_installmanpages so it associates binaries and man pages and
installs the man pages into the correct areas to suit the binaries they
document. I may need to make this only happen when a switch is given, to
preserve backward compatibility. (#16933, #17061)
* maybe make dh_installmanpages look at the .TH line of man pages whose
filenames end in .man, to figure out what section they go it. This would
require a switch to turn on, for backwards compatibility.
* All debhelper programs should be checked that they output files with the
correct permissions no matter what the umask is set to. Currently, only
those programs that run after dh_fixperms have been so checked. (Checking
the rest is low priority, since dh_fixperms fixes any incorrect permissions
they might have; still it would be nice to check them too, just to make
debhelper more flexible.) One easy fix is to add umask 022 to dh_lib,
however, there may be unforeseen ramifications of such a change.
* All programs should also make sure the files they install are owned by
root.root. Situation is currently the same as with permissions above, plus
dh_installchangelogs is fixed.
* something should add ldconfig calls properly to the postinst of packages
that contain shared libraries. maybe dh_makeshlibs? But it wasn't designed
to do that originally, and even worse, it is often run after
dh_installdeb, so the fragments wouldn't go into the postinst. So maybe a
new script is called for. But it's probably be best to just have a switch
to enable this.
* Need a way to make dh_strip not strip any static libs. Also, it'd be nice
if there were options to dh_strip, dh_compress, etc, to allow inclusion of
directories and exclusion of files based on filename globbing. (Request from
Matthias Klose <email@example.com>)
* Support use of environment variables in data taken from user, ie, in
debian/dirs. The problem with doing this is that we really want to allow
any filenames in that input, even those that look like environment
variables. However, it may be worth adding a switch to make it parse
environment variables. (#20964)
* It's possible to speed up debhelper by having it cache some values that
multiple commands call. One way to do this would be to write dh_cache,
that generates the cache. The catch is that if the user runs that program,
they are stating that they don't do anything later to invalidate the cache,
without calling ch_cache again. (#23792)
* Add a switch to dh_installdeb to allow it to do user defined
substitutions. OTOH, maybe it's better if people just sed
postinst.in before debhelper gets it's hands on it... (#25235)
* objdump -p can get the soname of a library, try using that in dh_shlibs
instead of parsing filenames.
* remove dh_du.
- need to wait a reasonable length of
time. I'm currently planning on doing this after slink is released or
one year after they were deprecated, whichever comes first. Be sure to
grep whole debian archive for all of them before removing them, though!
- currently, a few packages in potato use dh_du, but bugs have been filed.
* Remove support for --number option
- only dh_installemacsen ever used it, it is not --priority.
* DH_COMPAT 1. Can be removed once all packages are seen to be using 2 or
higher. I won't hold my breath.
* Also, grep the entire archive for all dh_* command lines, and check to
see what other switches are not being used, and maybe remove some of
them. I'd also like to depercate/remove debian/compress files, -X is
a better idea.