This is the TODO for debhelper. As more and more people use debhelper, this
list grows - I welcome patches to fix items on it!
* Make dh_* "use strict".
* enhance dh_installmanpages so it associates binaries and man pages and
installs the man pages into the correct areas to suit the binaries they
document. I may need to make this only happen when a switch is given, to
preserve backward compatibility. (#16933, #17061)
* maybe make dh_installmanpages look at the .TH line of man pages whose
filenames end in .man, to figure out what section they go it. This would
require a switch to turn on, for backwards compatibility.
* All debhelper programs should be checked that they output files with the
correct permissions no matter what the umask is set to. Currently, only
those programs that run after dh_fixperms have been so checked. (Checking
the rest is low priority, since dh_fixperms fixes any incorrect permissions
they might have; still it would be nice to check them too, just to make
debhelper more flexible.) One easy fix is to add umask 022 to dh_lib,
however, there may be unforeseen ramifications of such a change.
* All programs should also make sure the files they install are owned by
root.root. Situation is currently the same as with permissions above, plus
dh_installchangelogs is fixed.
* Need a way to make dh_strip not strip any static libs. Also, it'd be nice
if there were options to dh_strip, dh_compress, etc, to allow inclusion of
directories and exclusion of files based on filename globbing. (Request from
Matthias Klose <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
* Support use of environment variables in data taken from user, ie, in
debian/dirs. The problem with doing this is that we really want to allow
any filenames in that input, even those that look like environment
variables. However, it may be worth adding a switch to make it parse
environment variables. (#20964)
* It's possible to speed up debhelper by having it cache some values that
multiple commands call. One way to do this would be to write dh_cache,
that generates the cache. The catch is that if the user runs that program,
they are stating that they don't do anything later to invalidate the cache,
without calling ch_cache again. (#23792)
* Add a switch to dh_installdeb to allow it to do user defined
substitutions. OTOH, maybe it's better if people just sed
postinst.in before debhelper gets it's hands on it... (#25235)
* objdump -p can get the soname of a library, try using that in dh_shlibs
instead of parsing filenames.
* DH_COMPAT 1. Can be removed once all packages are seen to be using 2 or
higher. I won't hold my breath.
* Also, grep the entire archive for all dh_* command lines, and check to
see what other switches are not being used, and maybe remove some of
them. I'd also like to depercate/remove debian/compress files, -X is
a better idea.