blob: cb5fc77ea191bb5daba361c5d52f43cbb48ccb12 (plain
How To Contribute
Every open source project lives from the generous help by contributors that sacrifice their time and ``service_identity`` is no different.
Here are a few guidelines to get you started:
- Try to limit each pull request to one change only.
- To run the test suite, all you need is a recent tox_.
It will ensure the test suite runs with all dependencies against all Python versions just as it will on `Travis CI`_.
If you lack some Python version, you can can always limit the environments like ``tox -e py27,py35`` (in that case you may want to look into pyenv_ that makes it very easy to install many different Python versions in parallel).
- Make sure your changes pass our CI_.
You won't get any feedback until it's green unless you ask for it.
- If your change is noteworthy, add an entry to the changelog_.
- No contribution is too small; please submit as many fixes for typos and grammar bloopers as you can!
- Don’t break `backward compatibility`_.
- *Always* add tests and docs for your code.
This is a hard rule; patches with missing tests or documentation won’t be merged.
- Write `good test docstrings`_.
- Obey `PEP 8`_ and `PEP 257`_.
- If you address review feedback, make sure to bump the pull request.
Maintainers don’t receive notifications if you push new commits.
Please note that this project is released with a Contributor `Code of Conduct`_.
By participating in this project you agree to abide by its terms.
Please report any harm to `Hynek Schlawack <me>`_ in any way you find appropriate.
We can usually be found in the ``#cryptography-dev`` channel on freenode_.
Thank you for considering to contribute to ``service_identity``!
.. _me: https://hynek.me/about/
.. _`PEP 8`: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
.. _`PEP 257`: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0257/
.. _`good test docstrings`: https://jml.io/pages/test-docstrings.html
.. _`Code of Conduct`: https://github.com/pyca/service_identity/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.rst
.. _changelog: https://github.com/pyca/service_identity/blob/master/CHANGELOG.rst
.. _`backward compatibility`: https://service-identity.readthedocs.org/en/latest/backward-compatibility.html
.. _`tox`: https://testrun.org/tox/
.. _`Travis CI`: https://travis-ci.org/
.. _pyenv: https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv
.. _CI: https://travis-ci.org/pyca/service_identity
.. _freenode: http://webchat.freenode.net