Chronological list of changes made in Theme module.
Detailed list: http://www.zionmainframe.ca/tome/theme/changes.html
Known bugs: http://www.zionmainframe.ca/tome/theme/bugs.html
Theme 0.0.1 AKA "The Beginning"
- 20 new terrain features
- removed Alchemy [the class, the skill, and the Artifact Creation ability]
- removed DeathMolds [replaced with Dragons from Annals of Ea]
- Morgoth's corrupted races may no longer play as Lost Souls
- changed the intro screen and wording
- removed access to the Lost Hobbit quest (NEVER_GENE to both Proudfoots)
Theme 0.0.2 AKA "Object Mayhem"
- removed all items relating to alchemy and portable hole
- changed many descriptions and item names
- fountainized more potions
- Greater Ration of Health and the Potion of Learning are no longer artifacts, but more rare.
- rings and amulets are all indestructible now
- amulets of Devotion are blessed
- Adamantite rods are now Tilkal rods and more rare
- Espadons must be wielded two-handed
- the Bardiche replaces the Basillard
- Adamantite armour is now Galvorn
- Paper Armour makes wearer sensitive to fire; Fur cloaks grant cold resistance.
- Rhino Hide Armour became Mumak Hide Armour
- Golden Ring Mail replaces Stone and Hide Armour
- adjusted leather jacket, renamed to leather jerkin
Theme 0.0.3 AKA "Wordsmith"
- new rumours
- revamped list of silly monster names
- junkarts got a total facelift
- monster speech made more thematic all across the board
- more thematic last words (both monsters and player)
Theme 0.0.4 AKA "Monstervore"
(veteran *banders beware: many, many changes to monsters. Read the detailed list, the starting parchment, or take extra time to look around. 'Monstervore' is about right for the version name, in fact.)
- more neutral monsters all across the board
- Zangband and CthAngband monsters are gone, joke monsters greatly revamped.
- Angels, icky things, centipedes, and kobolds are gone.
- many colour changes to reduce confusion, different monsters should be easier to, uh, differentiate
- gnomes, leprechauns, and lizard men are now using the 'l' symbol instead of 'h'
- dwarves use the 'k' symbol instead of 'h'
- wainriders, black numenoreans, and oathbreakers are in, knights of all kinds are out.
- none of the 'cold' variety dragons have flight
- mature non-aquatic dragons have been renamed to drakes
- great wyrms are now great worms
- baby dragons are hatchling dragons
- Smaug no longer erroneously described as an 'uruloki' - uruloki can't fly.
- Nazgul are all represented by the letter N now (too many dark gray Ws as it is)
- renamed some uniques to be more in-theme
- Huan and Shadowfax are now neutral
- brought back aquatic elven warriors (friend), aquatic elven mages (friend), Headless, and mermaids from Z.
- completely new set of demons (major and minor) all in-theme, replacing the old D&D demons.
- the White Balrog renamed and re-described to avoid confusion due to the above.
- minotaurs, maulotaurs, and hippocampi are gone. The unique Maze guardian stays.
Theme 0.0.5 AKA "Artifactual"
- removed joke artifacts, many ammo artifacts, the phial of undeath, and toris mejistos
- changed many artifact names
- broadened some descriptions
- Gurthang renamed to Angalachel (detailed explanation in changelog.txt)
- The sword formerly known as Vorpal Blade is sentient
- Sting is a short sword, not small sword
- Anduril now resists being shattered by Morgul beings.
- Angrist is a broken dagger and gives a luck bonus.
- Theoden King had a sword, not an axe. That axe is now of Dain Ironfoot.
Theme 0.0.6 AKA "Brave New World"
- wilderness map corrected a lot to fit the Middle-Earth map, dungeon locations have changed considerably.
- some places on the map have names now, so you can wander through Rivendell, the Brown Lands, Udun, etc.
- three words: the Dead Marshes. Avoid 'em.
- some dungeons renamed; many new terrain features.
- in general, the wilderness is a lot more dangerous to travel (thanks to BlackSmurf for the inspiration).
- Angband levels 101-127 separated out into Utumno.
- 7 new dungeons, all with a final guardian and guaranteed artifact or randart.
- random towns in Cirith Ungol, Blue Mountains, Dol Amroth, Near Harad.
- Gondolin map tweaked a bit to suit new location.
- Lothlorien has been renamed to Caras Galadhon.
Theme 0.0.7 AKA "The Forge"
- 16 new item types, some from T-Plus, some as suggested in the forum, others my own - mostly for 'game flavour' [no pun intended :-)]
- 37 new ego-types, many from T-Plus and Annals of Ea
- 35 new artifacts, many from T-Plus, some from Annals of Ea, some implemented based on forum suggestions
- 6 new item sets, one of my own, one from T-Plus, others as suggested in the forum
- over 200 new monsters:
- centipedes replaced by 9 types of cattle and one unique (Boar of Everholt)
- icky things replaced by mewlips (undead things of hobbit-lore), 14 types
- 59 new uniques (8 are unkillable, wilderness-only Valar, 8 are joke monsters)
Theme 0.0.8 AKA "Gone to Town"
- numerous bug fixes, refer to changelog.txt for details
- 4 new artifacts, 4 new sets, 3 new ego types, some item and monster tweaks
- 14 new terrain features for town use
- 12 new towns, of these 7 are not visible on the wilderness map (all have parchments)
- Caras Galadhon map redone completely, Gondolin map tweaked to suit new location
- 'Rest for the night' option available for free in player home and some thematic locations
- 8 new store types
- rewritten store owner list
Theme 0.0.9 AKA "Out, Out, Damned Spot!"
- a bugfix release on the heels of ToME 2.2.7; see changelog.txt for details
- Player can now push past neutral monsters, thanks to a lua script written by BauMog
- Bjorn (a joke unique based on a DiTLer) replaces Varda
- Player can get free dinner at some thematic locations where player race is liked
- Increased quality of rods at the magic rod market
- The Valar have an equal number of non-spoiler lines now.
- Renumbered the planned releases (see below)
- From now on bugfix releases will always come separately.
Theme 0.1.0 AKA "A Farewell to Kobolds"
- several bugfixes, see changelog.txt for details
- only in-theme races can now be Lost Souls: Eldar and Maiar. I put half-elves among them too, as there's conflicting information on whether half-elves made it to the Halls of Mandos or not.
- thematised Maiar, Ents, Hobbits, Dwarves, and Wood Elves.
- 4 new races: Druedain (replace Kobolds), Easterlings, Roeg (minor demons), Eagles (replace Thunderlords)
- 6 dragon subraces
- 10 demon subraces
- Beefed up Rangers and removed ability to worship anyone but Melkor from Demonologists and Necromancers.
- 7 new subclasses
Theme 0.1.1 AKA "Sleeping Awake"
- several bugfixes, see changelog.txt for details
- some tweaks to the Clairvoyants, Ascetics, and Mercenaries
- a new joke monster, and more monspeak.txt lines
- 3 new ego types
- some preliminary changes to lua scripts, mostly stuff from the ToME Script library and T-Plus
Theme 0.1.2 AKA "Friends and Neighbours"
- a player/monster race alignment scheme based on the T-Plus code for Angel alignments
Theme 0.1.3 AKA "Odds and Ends"
- tweaks to various info files
- added 6 Dwarven Rings of Power
Theme 0.1.4 AKA "Milk and Bones"
- two lua scriptlets for players who like Ammo creation but don't like scumming for junk
- two lua scriptlets for some thematic fun
Theme 0.5.0 AKA "Eternity of Stars"
- removed weapons belonging to the Valar from a_info (changed names)
- renamed existing Eternity items
- added 8 new Ultimate items for the Void-divers
Theme 1.0.0 AKA "Shiny and New"
- Four new Valar: Varda, Aule, Ulmo, Mandos. All with their own magic schools, priest classes, and quest temples.
- Fully documented all the changes so far for the ingame help.
- Some monster and item tweaks.
- Numerous tweaks to the new races and classes.
- The Pacifists are now a class alongside warriors, mages, and priests - there are two subclasses.
Theme 1.0.1. AKA "Khazad aimenu!"
- Fixed some God-related issues
- Some miscellaneous cosmetic fixes
- Updated automatiser file to work regardless of object flavour display
- 4 new axe types from T-Plus
- New ego magestaff
Theme 1.0.2. AKA "Order of the Swan"
- Fixed the Elemental Mastery ego-type
- God quest fixes
- 3 new ego types, 2 new artifacts, and 1 new item set
- Fog on the Barrow-Downs is back, toned down.
- New monster: Knight of the Swan (white 'p')
- Mithril armour adapted from T-Plus
Theme 1.0.3 AKA "Old and New"
- New special level in Erebor
- New amulet ego-type
- Axed the Rustproof and of Valour ego-types
- Tweaked Ranger class further
- (2.3.0 CVS) Axed several out-of-theme artifacts to make room for new ones from ToME3
- (2.3.0 CVS) War-mage class (T-Plus) is useless with the new Mage class, removed
Theme 1.0.4 AKA "Jocos Et Dii Amant"
- Ulmo now dislikes the player using fire magic and Orc players (Thanks to LogrusMage)
- Fixed the monster flag problem which caused lua errors in Ulmo's temple dungeon
- Commented out Nienna and Orome in r_info
Theme 1.0.5 AKA "As You Like It"
- New tiles for terrain and objects
- Pref file for 16x16 tileset uses ASCII characters for the *missing* monsters
- Pref file for 8x8 tileset uses ASCII characters for *all* monsters.
Theme 1.0.6 AKA "Flame of Udun"
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ulmo from working properly
- Re-added the Maia restrictions for corruptions
- Added some new corruptions (from MM's script)
Theme 1.0.7 AKA "All Shall Wait"
- Monster tiles and pref files done
- Renamed *thanc daggers
- Renamed Halls of Mandos and lifted the elves-only restrictions.
- Thror's map is now actually a map
- More corruptions from MM's script
- Added NO_TARGET to monsters that start out neutral
Theme 1.0.8 AKA "To The Keep!"
- Several small bugfixes
- Some documentation updates
- Fixed Aule's spells to prevent insane pval increases
- (2.3.0 CVS) Several documentation tweaks
- (2.3.0 CVS) misc.lua was not called from init.lua
Theme 1.0.9 AKA "Through the Darkness"
- Several small bugfixes
- Several documentation and in-game parchment updates
- Pippin's dagger (former *thanc) is now part of another set, too
- Graphics package updated, plus .gif files as in 2.3.0
- (2.3.0 CVS) Removed museums from all towns but three
Theme 1.1.0 AKA "Forever There"
- Minor piety-gain tweaks to Ulmo and Melkor
- Took away 'normal' magic schools from Thaumaturgists
- Mages got .400 in Disarming
- Trolls got a bonus to hafted-mastery
Theme 1.1.1 AKA "I Amar Prestar Aen"
- New special level by Burb Lulls
- Some item, monster, artifact, class, and ego tweaks
- Fireproofing quest is now for a rune, not potion
- Tweaked the Tears of Luthien spell
Theme 1.1.2 AKA "Serpensortia"
- minor bugfixes/tweaks: items, races, classes
- (2.3.0 CVS) fixed the new jewelry crashing bug
- (2.3.0 CVS) removed several types of old rings and amulets
Theme 1.1.3 AKA "Phoenix Song"
- Updated all files from the 2.3.0 (CVS) version to 2.3.1
- Removed Peregrin's dagger from the Peregrin's Gear set.
- Aule followers should be able to sacrifice self-made items now.
- The coordinates for Melkor's god quests have been fixed.
- Added more text to the Erebor map and key to make sure player keeps them.
Theme 1.1.4 AKA "Release the River"
- Updated all files from the 2.3.1 version to 2.3.3
- Fixed bugs with maps, sets, jumpgates and quests.
- Updated a number of help files on gods and magic.
- Retired two ego types and reworked some others.
- Retired the Polymorph corruption.
- Replaced Carlammas with a new artifact and added a new ring ego type.
Theme 1.1.5 AKA "Angles and Corners"
- Some feature flag tweaks.
- Orc Cave now leads out on the other side of the Misty Mountains.
- Two new special levels to accomodate Erebor quest items; new special final level in Isengard.
- Eagles' nest in Khazad-dum.
Theme 1.1.6 AKA "Curses to This Mirage"
- Some monster flag tweaks.
- Neutral monsters forced into wilderness.
- Fixed player-related bugs with stat gain and starting equipment.
Theme 1.1.7 AKA "Poor Madeleine"
- Some item tweaks.
- Removed several miscellaneous food items.
- 5 new item types.
Theme 1.1.8 AKA "Little White Candle"
- Numerous ego item tweaks.
- Renamed several ego types to be more in-theme.
- Removed Rings of the Elements to avoid redundancy.
- 3 new ego types.
Theme 1.1.9 AKA "Kit Bag Full of Marbles"
- Several randart tweaks.
- FF now offers three additional skills.
- Non-elves can no longer be LostSouls.
- Flight at birth now means mountain climbing at clvl50
Theme 1.2.0 AKA "Twining Light"
- Several artifact tweaks.
- Removed the dwarven rings of power.
- 3 new artifacts.
- 1 new item set.